Old Alresford House
Project: Old Alresford House, Ion Glass, Haddow & Partners
Products: Structural Glass Panels for a Linkway
Old Alresford House in Hampshire is a Grade II list mansion dating back to 1750, when it was built for Admiral Lord Rodney as a family home for him and his wife.
The house remained in the family for 6 generations before being sold in 1876 to a banker who added on the East and West wings. The building was subsequently updated in contemporary Edwardian style with the installation of a panel dining room and beautiful front gates.
It has been restored by its current owners to recapture the history of the house and to make it available as a wedding venue and for private functions and film or photo-shoots. The building was extended to facilitate a large modern kitchen and extended ballroom.
Designs were drawn up for two glass links, one for the kitchen and one for the ballroom. Incorporating structural glass links provides a buffer between the old building and the new facade as well as allowing light to flow through and open up the space in these rooms.
Ion Glass were commissioned to provide the large laminated toughened glass panels for the metre wide links that are set behind and hidden by the front facades of the new extensions so as not to detract from the period style of the house.
The glass panels to the vertical faces are 3.5 metres tall and a metre wide. They are slotted into bespoke stainless steel brackets fixed into the brick walls allowing movement between the facades and the main building.
The 5 metre glass roof panels were designed to overhang the vertical panels to keep any rain water off the face of the glass. These panels were lowered into position by a crane and subsequently sealed with lead flashing to ensure they are watertight.
The glass links ensure the distinction between the old and the new construction to this building, whilst adding a contemporary, stylish feature to the renovation.